Bundles of Warmth Mission Project (January 24, 2016) It’s hard to believe that we are in the third year of our “Bundles of Warmth” mission project. Back in 2014, Grace UM Church embarked in a relationship with the Race Track Chaplaincy of America (RTCA) Central Penn Division, serving Penn National Race Track. Across the country there are over 3 million people involved in the horse racing industry and more than 10,000 of those individuals are living on what is called the “backstretch” of the racetrack. Many of these racetrack dwellers have no religious community or leader to turn to in times of crisis. The RTCA was formed in 1971 to reach these men, women, and children who are often in need of basic items we take for granted.
Throughout 2014, Grace members were involved in many RTCA outreach programs that touched this special group of people from the horse training community of Penn National Race Track. One program we are especially proud of is our church-wide/in house “Bundles of Warmth” mission where we made blankets and hygiene kits, and delivered them in January to the Penn National horse training community. It was truly a success and we helped individuals right in our own back yard!
Once again we are excited to be a part of this special outreach program. Therefore please mark your calendar for Sunday, January 24, 2016, to participate in the 3rd annual “Bundles of Warmth” church-wide/in-house mission project. The project to assemble the Bundles of Warmth will be ongoing from 8:00 am until completed, and you can stop by anytime to help for as long as you wish. A sign-up sheet will be placed in the Narthex.
Aren’t available that day? Want to help in a different way? Here’s how:
- Donate items now for the bundles. We are looking for the following FULL SIZE donations that can be used to make 100 bundles for men or women. Please place your donations in the Bundles of Warmth box located by the Mission table in the Narthex. Shopping lists will also be available on the Mission table in the Narthex:
- Soap (bars or bottles of body wash)
- Shaving cream
- Toothpaste (we have plenty of toothbrushes left over from the 2015 mission)
- Laundry Pods
- Zip Lock Bags (Gallon, Quart, and Snack size)
- Monetary Donations for the Committee to purchase fabric to make blankets, premade blankets, men/women hats, gloves, scarves, and socks. Please be certain to mark “Bundles of Warmth” on your checks. Can-shaking will also be held in January, 2016.
- Food donations for bake sale to be held 01/24/16.
- Pray for the continued success of the project.
We have the opportunity to once again do something unique and powerful in which every single congregation member can participate. We are eager to continue this project and are looking to all of your contributions that will continue building this community relationship. Please contact Kelly Hubler (599-6425) if you have any questions. Thank you!